When you talk about successful Japanese manga series there is only one name that pops up in your mind, Dragon Ball Z. Since its debut in 1984, DBZ is still winning the hearts of people across the world.
This epic franchise has made over 30 billion dollars since its debut as it is a popular show that echoed in every household in the early 2000s.
The story revolved around Saiyan Goku, the main protagonist and the greatest defender of the earth. Akira Toriyama, the writer, and illustrator were able to capture the imagination of fans across the globe which became a prominent popular culture in the 80s and 90s.
DBZ played a key role in popularizing anime in the western parts of the world. Today, you will DBZ themes purchased across the globe, be it clothing, card games, apparel, cafes, video games, and so much more.
Just like the solar flare is a super skill in the manga series that is used by high-level fighters, solar watches are built for the best. It is a great accessory to your DBZ apparel that will stay with you for a long time, like your DBZ merchandise. For a complete review of solar watches – see superwatches.com.
If you have watched DBZ as a kid, you will love this list of fun and exciting facts about DBZ.
- Do you know, Toriyama initially planned to replace Goku with Gohan as the leading character of the manga series. However, after some feedback from fans, Goku still played the lead role.
- Master Roshi cannot die of old age. He is considered one of the most important characters of the series as he has trained Goku, Krillin, Yamcha, and so on. He is over 350 years old because he was once granted eternal life by an immortal phoenix bird.
- Vegeta is one of the popular characters in the series and it’s hard to imagine DBZ without him. But do you know he was originally planned to be killed off after being defeated? Again, due to the voice of the fans, the producers decided to keep him alive in the show.
- Yamcha is not a favorite of Toriyama because, in all the DBZ saga, he was either killed, wounded, or already dead.
- Goku vs Frieza is considered one of the longest fights in anime history. The fight between the two lasted for 4 hours and 13 minutes, in order words, 20 episodes. The main reason behind this was that the show was produced too quickly so they had to stall and make filler content while the story progressed.
- Despite being a woman, Masako Nozawa, the Japanese actress is the voice behind Goku, Gohan, Raditz, and other male members of Goku’s family.
- The writer Akira Toriyama never featured a female super Saiyan mainly because he did not understand how the women would appear in the series. He feared that they would be similar to the male characters so decided to not add any.
- One of the main reasons why the 2009 film adaptation of Dragon Ball: Evolution was one of the worst movies was because of the director, James Wong. After the movie release, he revealed that he did not watch a single episode of DBZ and based his movie on imagination. No wonder the movie flopped as he didn’t know anything regarding this timeless classic manga series.
- As of September 2021, Dragon Ball Z is currently ranked #73 on IMDb’s top-rated TV shows.
- Bulma is considered one of the most significant and longest-running female characters in the whole series. Throughout the series, Bulma has had over 17 different hairstyles and weirdly her name translates to panties.
- Despite all the threats he has faced, the only time Vegeta becomes frantic is when he is confronted by worms. Yes, one of the strongest fighters in the manga series is terrified of worms.
- Frieza is the emperor of the universe and one of the feared characters in the series. Yet, he is one of the most defeated characters on the show. In total, he has been defeated 5 times by Goku twice, Gohan, Pikkon, and future trunks
- According to Akira Toriyama, the reason why Launch appeared throughout the first dragon ball series only is that he forgot she ever existed.
- Chi-Chi always refers to Goku and Gohan as monsters when they turn super Saiyan. This is because, in Japanese culture, children who dye their hair blonde are considered disrespectful and rebellious.
- Kamehameha is Goku’s signature move and he loves it. From the time he learned the move to the end of the DBZ series, Goku used this move a massive 97 times!
I’m sure after these points you will want to watch some Dragon Ball Z and relive your childhood entertainment. But before you do, check out some of the coolest and unique DBZ iPhone cases today!